Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Response to "Clash of the Bearded Ones"

There were a lot of great things about this piece - the language utilized, the blatant ironies displayed; the entire idea of a "neighborhood war" between hipsters and Hasids brought a smile to my face.

From a stylistic approach, I really liked the mini-profiles within the larger neighborhood profile. For example, the paragraphs detailing Gottlieb's deli, Baruch Herzfeld and his Unclean Bike Business, even the neighborhood's socioeconomic description are all smaller profiles within the larger article, book-ended by the panel scenes in Pete's Candy Store.

Idov's article reads like I would expect a movie to unfold - cyclical beginnings and endings that ground the story in one specific place, one moment; smaller conflicts and characters housed within the body of the piece. I definitely need to try that out in my own writing; made the piece a very enjoyable read.

No comments:

Post a Comment