Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Response to "Girls Girls Girls"

I was going through my documents and I realized I never posted this response. Well, it's pretty late, so I probably won't get the grade, but at least I'll have my thoughts online.

I found this article incredibly pretentious. Seeing that the author labels himself as an elitist, I can't say I'm surprised. My biggest issue, however, was with the time jumps - seriously, I couldn't keep everything straight.

He talks about how sexuality was viewed in different eras, then jumps into a professorial debate over "how creepy is too creepy?" There are sections about his meeting with a former professional ballerina, who ultimately becomes his wife, but you only realize they'd gotten married at the end of the article. Damn. Confusing.

Overall, the topic was fairly interesting - how there's a very gray area concerning sexuality and sexual harassment between students and professors, but he went about it all wrong. Instead of being so blunt and "in-your-grill" about such a seemingly delicate issue, wouldn't it be easier to try to appeal to the reader on some emotional level? Hmmm... honestly, I thought the author was kind of a dick, but I suppose when you're an established, well-paid journalist, you can afford to be so blunt.

No comments:

Post a Comment