Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Response to Marina's "Women and the Arts at Kalamazoo College"

I'm intrigued by Marina's explanatory narrative - she uses Shakespeare's "the tempest," Fox, and Marshall as a way to narrow her focus -- feminism/female strength on campus. As a reader, I'm conflicted; I saw the tempest, I've even discussed the reversed gender roles in several of my classes, but we never included feminism in the discussion. Should I probe into the focus, question its relevance or its truth - as a reader, I'm able to do so, but as a classmate, should I just comment on her organization ... or... whatever?

I suppose, because the statements I'd want explained are quotes, I can't question the focus itself. These quotes aren't Marina's, they are her subjects. I guess I'd want more explicit details of how "the tempest" was an example of feminism. More specifically, how the roles were played differently than the male versions would've been, or how the relationships between the characters had changed. For example, changing Prospero from male to female, doesn't necessarily explain how Prospero changed from a "tyrant" to a "strong, female matriarch"; gender change doesn't explain such an incredible transformation...

No comments:

Post a Comment