Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Response to Steven's "Sunday Morning"

I really enjoy the detail. From the opening of this piece, the descriptions of the church and the saints, the fellow church-goers and the priests are very telling. In a religious context, I feel like I'm getting to know these people.

Curious - if this piece were written by a religious person, and not by an atheist, I wonder if such intricate details would've been captured. I think Steven's disjuncture with organized religion is what makes this piece relevant, the inherent conflict of the story.

I'm curious to see what Steven gathers from Greek-fest, but I hope he doesn't throw away some of his more intricate descriptions. I felt like I'm saw the details as he saw them - I don't want the piece to lose that feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment