Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Response to Andrea's Profile

Andrea's title says it all: "Profile - so much harder to condense a person in less than 1,000 words!" I'm of the same mind. There were certain instances where I was confused about the time line of her profile.

I wanted to know exactly when Terylle was married, maybe a little more about her relationship in Chicago, also when she had her other children. I'm also curious about her current age, and the ages of her children. There were far too many details and other curiosities that Andrea understandably had trouble fitting into the story.

I enjoyed Terylle's quotes. I felt they really got at the heart of the character. i can see her in my mind - imagine what she would say in other conversations. I do wonder, however, about her relationship with religion. She seems like a nice caring woman who's been through some difficult situations - does she use religion as a crutch; does she only turn to God and her church community because she's been through so many difficult struggles?

Of course, I suppose that's the job. As journalists, we're not supposed to put our own interpretations in the piece, we're simply supposed to report our observations.

No comments:

Post a Comment