Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Week 7 Readings

It's amazing to think that Gay Talese wrote "Frank Sinatra Has a Cold" without a single conversation with the man himself. The piece is a series of descriptions and illuminations gleaned from hanging out with Sinatra's crew/employees and making observations of Sinatra in a number of different settings. Seriously, what an interesting way to go about profiling a person. I find myself wondering how much time it took Talese to write this piece. Likewise, I'm curious why Talese decided not to interview Sinatra directly; was it a decision, or was he not allowed to get close to Sinatra? Did Sinatra let him get close enough to view his lifestyle, but not close enough to record a conversation? In some instances, it almost seems like Sinatra didn't realize Talese was there. Crazy. I'd like to read a follow-up piece about Talese's method.

As a writer, i think I would be able to do this. It would require much more time and effort on my part, but I presume it's possible, even for an undergrad like myself. I would wonder about the truth of my statements and presumptions/examples, however. If I don't talk to the subject, how can I be sure my profile is an accurate representation of his/her person. I suppose in some ways, observing the person for such an extended period may prove more accurate in the long run. Subjects lie and change facts/mold histories when you speak to them directly; people are fallible. During an interview, subjects try to put the best version of themselves on display. hmmm...

I felt "The Road is very Unfair" was an interesting article. It was so long, however, that I felt, at times, the focus on AIDS was lost. I would become absorbed by the stories of individual characters, by the dangers they faced (in this instance, not sexually-transmitted dangers), by the history of the region, and the journey of the trucking convoy. I thought the article ended oddly; the focus on the previously unknown/not mentioned turnboy. I felt the ending was hurried, that Conover tried to summarize his focus too simply and sweetly.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with your ideas on The Road is Very Unfair. It was a longer article on a pretty intense subject--how can you end such a story with just as much intensity or resolution? It felt a little hurried to me too and I was confused as to how it all of a sudden picked up when the rest was very well detailed and drawn out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with the ending. What did it mean? What was he trying to say with that? was it emphasizing 'Africa's fatalism'? awkward..

    I also think i could do and like to report on a person like Talese did with Sinatra. It's kinda creepy and stalkerish, (then he took one step left, scratched his nose, and put a hand in his pocket) but i also think that would make it really fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt that the focus was lost in "The Road is very Unfair" too. In fact, I didn't really know what the focus was until you identified it in this post. I couldn't decide if it was a profile of the truckers, of the place, or an immersion/explanatory piece on AIDS or on truck driving or being an American in Africa or what.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with everything that's being said about "The Road is Very Unfair," but for some reason I want to defend it. I think the ending ties the whole piece together because it is another instance that shows that AIDS is still a very taboo topic in Africa, and that because people aren't being honest about it and aren't admitting the severity of its consequences, it's taking all of these anonymous lives. I agree that the article was convoluted, but I think a lot of the issues had to be there to show how they feed into the AIDS issue (for example, his experience of being an American in Africa shows a lot about the ways the "West" has influenced Africa and how westerners are viewed, which I think relates to the fact that a lot of the fight against AIDS in Africa is pushed by the West).

    ReplyDelete