Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Response to "Population: The Last Taboo"

So... I kind of think Claire made the same mistake I did when I posted my first article third week: this article focuses more on a particular issue - population - than it does on a particular person or place. I suppose one could make the argument that it's centered around India, and that India, as an overcrowded nation, is the focus of this profile. It's my understanding, however, that the piece is more about population control than it is about place.

I, too, linked everyone to an article about a particular issue. I think mine was about journalists who gather to tell stories and share "artifacts" that they'd procured from their travels. I guess the issue there was authenticity and journalistic integrity - should journalists nab stuff from foreign countries and celebrity interviews...

Although the piece itself is incredibly engaging, I'm not sure it's a definitive profile. Then again, maybe I didn't get the memo... could be my mistake yet again.

2 comments:

  1. Just to clarify, Myles - I thought that we were supposed to post an example of an enterprise or explanatory narrative piece or an immersion piece for this week. I'll talk to Marin about it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. no it's all good. i think you're right. i was probably lost inside my head thinking about god knows what when marin said that - just me being an idiot again. in light of m mistake, this is a great piece you've selected.

    ReplyDelete