Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Writing Process - Profile

I've gotta admit, writing profile's is tough. My subject was Tim Cutting, one of the pianists at Monaco Bay dueling piano bar in downtown Kalamazoo. I spent a couple weeks with Tim, getting to know him and listening to him play onstage. He's a complicated guy - not in a bad way, however, it's just hard to describe what makes him tick. I feel I've scratched the service and done a fairly good job detailing him as a person and a performer, but to really understand him, I'd have to spend at least a couple months following him around. Unfortunately, our schedule doesn't allow for that in-depth an analysis. Add two other classes per quarter with papers and tests, midterms and final exams, and I'm surprised I got as much information as I did.

Regardless, I feel I told a pretty good story. I'm unsure, however, as to whether or not I captured Tim's true character. For our audio/visual presentation, I'll be curious to see how other students interpret Tim's as a personality - whether or not they think I did a good job representing him. I tried to book-end the profile with two scenes from his final night last saturday. Then I split the story into a couple different sections. Unfortunately, when I posted the piece, the breaks I put in between certain paragraphs were lost - it reads as one entire section. And because I write it in Microsoft Word before I post it online, I'm unable to edit the piece.

On the whole, though, I feel the profile went well. I'm sure I'll have to change a couple things, reorganize some sections and whatnot. I just hope Tim comes across as he really is. That's the whole point of a profile piece, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment