Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Response to "The Rolling Stones Return to Exile"

Generally, I liked this article. I know very little about the Rolling Stones. In fact, I don't think I've ever owned a Rolling Stones Album besides "40 Licks" - their greatest hits CD. In my mind, a greatest hits album doesn't count as a legitimate album. Its all just a mish-mosh of songs from different points in the artist's lives - lyrically, musically, emotionally. Anyway, it was nice hearing the Stones talk about the re-release of their 1970's LP. As the band members recalled different issues and happenings from that point in their history, I felt as though I was getting to know them as a collective group - not individuals, but the band itself.

Sexton does a great job of revealing the artists to the reader, their inner thoughts and whatnot. I was however, a bit overwhelmed by the number of quotes in the article. After the first four or five paragraphs, it seemed like the entire article was just a long list of quotes from the band. In one sense, I'm not surprised - to hear the band's take on themselves and their album implies quotations from the band. duh. At the same time, however, I wish more of their story or the interview itself could be told from a "show, don't tell" perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment